Hired a Contractor? The EDD Has A Form for You

March 21, 2013 Posted by Jessica Shofler in Jobs, News

Has your organization hired an independent contractor? If so, it may be required to file a Report of Independent Contractor.

Any nonprofit operating in California that hires an individual or sole proprietor to do $600 or more worth of contract work must report information about that contractor to the Employment Development Department (EDD). The information is used to locate parents who are delinquent in their child support obligations.

File the form electronically or submit a paper form.

Contact your tax professional if you have more questions. Happy tax season!

NOTE: The information contained herein is not intended to be legal advice and the reader should know that no Attorney-Client relationship or privilege is formed by the posting or reading of this article which is also not intended to solicit business.

Casey Summar, Partner, The Law Firm for Non-Profits,1812 W Burbank Blvd, #7445, Burbank, CA 91506


  1. Revised I-9 Form for New Hires | Non-Profit Legal Matters wrote:

    […] Earlier we asked you if your nonprofit has any independent contractors. Today it’s time to ask about employees. Has your nonprofit recently hired or is it hiring new employees? […]