As you make your nonprofit’s resolutions for 2015, take a moment to look back on the year that was for nonprofits. To help you get started, here are some of our top blog posts on 5 of the most interesting issues facing nonprofits and the nonprofit sector in 2014.
- This was a tough year for Lois Lerner. In the wake of the tea party scandal, we watched her downfall.
- In 2014, the IRS introduced its Short Form Exemption Application — Form 1023-EZ, which faced opposition from charity regulators and several nonprofit associations but helped the IRS get through hundreds of exemption applications in a very short period.
- At the end of 2013, we blogged about the more than 1,000 nonprofit organization that reported a “significant diversion” of assets since 2008. In 2014, we saw embezzlement hit all types and sizes of nonprofits.
- Many celebrity charities faced scandal in 2014. Did your favorite celebrity end up under the negative spotlight?
- Whether or not to take donations or grants from unsavory sources became a big topic in 2014 as the Koch brothers made sizable donations to schools around the country.
It was a great year for all of us at The Law Firm for Non-Profits! Arthur celebrated his 18th anniversary of starting the firm and Jessica got married. We wish you a happy new year and a prosperous start to 2015!