Don’t just give away your unwanted stuff. Several websites make it easy to be sure that your old belongings are put to good use. In its January 2, 2011 issue, Parade lists a number of organizations that do just this. See http://bit.ly/lfnp213.
Here are some examples of where to give your donations:
- Excessaccess.com matches giveaways with local non-profits that need them.
- Careergear.org provides used suits and ties to disadvantaged men trying to get jobs.
- The Los Angeles Women’s Building (where we have donated clothes over the years) does the same for women in the City of Angels (womensbuilding.org).
- Soles4souls.org distributes “gently used” shoes to people in need.
- And, of course, Lions Clubs International (lionsclubs.org) collects and redistributes old eyeglasses.